If you love to add a bit of vintage nostalgia to your holiday season, come out and see us, or visit us online on Etsy (GovernorsAntiquesVa) or Chairish. We've got lots of great items for entertaining, gift giving, and holiday decorating. One of those is this terrific Tom & Jerry Punchbowl Set- available now for $150. If you haven't had a Tom & Jerry, you're missing a quintessential Christmas indulgence! Created in the 1820's by the journalist Pierce Egan, it has nothing to do with the cartoon cat and mouse, but everything to do with promoting Egan's novel, Life in London, or The Day and Night Scenes of Jerry Hawthorn Esq. and his Elegant Friend Corinthian Tom, and the subsequent stage play of the same name.
He created this holiday drink- really a kicked up, warm version of the classic eggnog, and it really caught on. Try it! It's delicious!
Tom & Jerry (prep time approx 15 minutes)
- 4 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons blackstrap rum
- 1/2 teaspoon plus ground cinnamon (heaping)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 4 cups Brandy
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons aged Jamaican rum
- 6 cups hot whole milk
- 6 cups hot water
- Freshly grated cinnamon and nutmeg, for garnish
For the batter:
- Place the egg yolks, sugar, rum, cinnamon, and allspice in a medium to large bowl and whisk until lightened in color and fluffy; set aside.
- Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in a second medium bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. Fold half of the beaten egg whites into the egg yolk mixture until just combined, then add the remaining egg whites and fold until just combined and no white streaks remain.
For the punch:
- When ready to serve, place the batter in a 3-quart punch or serving bowl. Slowly pour in the Cognac and rum and stir gently to combine, being careful not to deflate the batter. Slowly pour in the milk and water and stir gently to combine. Garnish with grated cinnamon and nutmeg and serve immediately.